Saturday, June 1, 2013

Piss Pump

Wow I have gotten lazy with the blogging. Probably because the rest of our lives seems out of control. At work yesterday I was talking with some coworkers and said, "Seriously, my very organized brain fell out and got lost somewhere over the last 10 months." Hmmmm, I wonder why?

It has been an eventful spring between preparing for Teha and Brett's wedding, readoption, another trip to Haiti, and a birthday party. Let's start at the wedding prep.

Teha and Brett are finally getting married June 15th. Our whole family is in the wedding party so we have all had a few trips to the bridal store, the tailors, and the shoe store. There have also been multiple showers, a bacholerette party in Minneapolis last weekend and a bachelor party today for Karl. Minneapolis was a great time however I have had this miserable cold that just won't go away so that put a bit of a damper on things.

We officially readopted the boys on April 1st. We had to go to the Burleigh county courthouse and go into a court room and everything. It was a special moment because my parent's, Teha and Brett, and Sean and Anne could be there unlike all the previous adoption moments but it still felt like another process to go through. While sitting on my lap in the court room while being asked questions Ajura says, "Mommy, I'm tired" and proceeds to slam his head down on the desk. Audibly. Nice. We get asked a bunch of questions like, "Do you know you will now be financially responsible for these children?" Ummm, duh.  We have been for the last how many months. So why do the readoption process? Until we readopted the boys they had there Ethiopian birth certificates only and these had there previous names on them. The boys now have North Dakota issued birth certificates with their new full names: Ajura Wyn Spears and Ahmi Kidame Spears. This court date also allowed us to have a U.S. adoption decree. Sometimes, depending on relationships between the children's birth country and the U.S. these original Ethiopian documents would not suffice so it is encouraged that you readopt them. Like I said, to us this was really just a thing to get done. It is pretty awesome that the boys now have social security numbers!! Darn, time to save for college...

I was very lucky again to get to travel to Haiti again this spring. This time I went to teach in a public hospital in the second largest city in Haiti, Cap-Haitien. This was such an amazing experience for me and Bill and I have big plans for continuing education and equipment support for this hospital. We were able to spend time with our dear friends Ray and Marie-Jeanne and have met many more. Again I couldn't do these trips without my wonderful husband back home to pick up the slack when I'm gone and to support me in these adventures. So thankful. However, while I was gone I received an email from Karl. It had a photo in it. The photo was of our youngest son with facial hair. Karl had cut Ajura's hair, collected the hair and with the coconut oil got it to stick to Ahmi's face. Wow. I almost grabbed the next flight home thinking Karl was losing it.

Ajura's birthday was on Tuesday. It was very special because it was his first birthday in the U.S. and it was also the year anniversary since meeting the boys. We had my parents and Teha and Brett over for pizza and cake. The boys played outside with the slip-n-slide and we drank some beer. I somehow managed to destroy both my oven and a pizza by dropping the entire Papa Murphy's pizza onto the heating element at the bottom. I am talented. We grilled the other pizzas and Ahmi still ate the charred remains of the other pizza. Yesterday we had Ajura's birthday party with friends. He wanted to only invite boys from his class so we did. That only includes 5 other kids. Perfect right? Well 2 couldn't make it but the twins and Brody were in so we planned the party. Yesterday afternoon I get a text from the twins mom, she had forgotten the party and sent the twins out of town with their grandparents. So now the party is Brody. Yep one kid. When I got home to break the news to Ajura, he had been playing all day with Ella. He sneaks up to me and asks, "Can I invite Ella to my party?" Why yes you can little buddy since no one else will be there. So I tell him he needs to ask Ella if she will come to his party. So he walks up to here and sayings, "Ella do you want to come to my party?" I stop him and say, "Ask her will" so he looks at me and says, "I am sweating." Wipes the sweat from his brow and says to Ella, "Will you come to my party tonight?" It was so cute. Ella was wonderful and came to the party so he had Brody and Ella. Teha, Brett, Ella's dad Chris, and Karl and I, pretty good adult to kid ratio. The kids ran around and had a great time even though the weather was awful. We had a scavenger hunt and everything. He claims he had fun.

I will leave you with a piss pump...as the boys call a fist bump. I refuse to teach them differently.


No comments:

Post a Comment