No, Ay, Ah-deh-lem, shoulder shrug, any way you slice it, it is my least favorite word right now. Why, you may ask? Because I feel like that is all I have heard today. "Is the food good Ajura?" Ay Ay Ay (as he continues to devour it). "Ride in the car/makina?" (favorite thing for them to do) Gambellan shoulders shrugs all around. Fantastic. I have been griping about this all day. Being told "no" constantly regardless of when if they want or don't want, like or don't like makes me feel like I am boarding the crazy train. Tonight while at my parents' for dinner the "nos" we're flying back and forth and although my parents and Teha and Brett understand it embarrasses me a little when my mom asks the kids if they like the food that they have spent a bunch of time on and their response is "no" (of any kind) with a smirky smile. I try to smooth it over by trying to explain to them that that is not nice and it hurts people's feelings. Yep, too complex when your vocabulary with your children is about 30 words. Brett did bring up a good point, he said something along the lines of, I bet they hear no a lot too and are probably just getting you back. Jerk, but darn you are probably right. During a day it does feel like a ton of "no" a bit of "yes" and even a few "hell no" (well not really but the inflection in ones voice applies the hell portion). So tomorrow I am going to try to decrease my no and redirect instead and maybe, just maybe they will throw me a bone.
We are functioning pretty well. Poor little Ahmi had more bloodwork drawn on Friday. I was still feeling sick until yesterday so we had a laid back Friday. Saturday was a blast! I hit up Folkfest with Kelli and then we went to get Ella from riding horse. On the way back to my house, we picked up a clipper for the boys' hair. You guessed it! Ahmi is now rocking a mohawk. Love it! Ajura will be getting his cut tomorrow. Also on our way home, we saw two dogs running down the middle of the highway so we stopped to pick them up for fear of them getting run over. So for an hour or so I had 4 dogs and three kids at my house. One of the dogs was just a puppy and Ajura was so in love. He was trying to get the puppy untangled from under the table and the puppy was kissing his face like crazy and he was just giggling. Once the dogs left, Ella went to go play in the tree house and after a minute or so Ajura followed her and they played the rest of the evening. Ahmi participated as well but Ella and Ajura are closer in age. I was so happy to see my little boy laughing and playing and letting go a little with this awesome little girl. They played until the sun went down and then we put the boys to bed and my parents and sister joined us for conversation out on our back deck. Beautiful night and so much fun.
Sean came over today and met the kids for the first time. We had a great time with him. The boys are starting to take to visitors more quickly. They are shy and hang on to Karl or I for only about 5 minutes now and then they are starting to interact with the visitors. Ahmi has become very affectionate and will give kisses and when I put him down for a nap today he just laid with my and softly rubbed my face. Ahmi also helped me fold laundry and put it away tonight which was a fun task and it was so nice to get the help! Ajura is still our more difficult nut to crack and I think sometimes it is hard for everyone because Ahmi (for many reasons) is more outgoing and affectionate and charming so one easily bonds with him but you have to be persistent without being overbearing to get Ajura. He is just figuring out this whole trust thing. Seeing him reach out and play with Ella was a wonderful sight. I love it when people get to see the side of Ajura that Karl and I get to see. The boy with the belly laugh and protective nature, who loves animals and soaks up every bit of information that goes past him. Like all things, it is so worth the time and effort, because you get paid back infinitely.
No comments:
Post a Comment