Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Uninspired

That is my word for today when sitting down to write out this new blog posting. Believe it or not, although it sounds negative, it is not. Blogging is easier and more entertaining (at least I think) when there are crisis and chaos and funny disasters happening and it has been so peaceful around here that I am scared to ruin the calm by daring to mention it. My best friend asked me what I was doing this afternoon while Ahmi naps and I said,

"Umm, no idea."

His response: "You should blog."

Me: "I have nothing funny to say."

His response: "You should blog."

Me: "I'm boring right now and uninspired."

His response: "All the more reason to blog."

Me: "Fine."

So here I am blogging about peace.

We have finally really settled into a rhythm. On weekdays, Karl gets up at 6:30 and gets ready for the day. Wakes the kids at 6:45, dresses Ajura in the clothes we picked out last night (otherwise I have a feeling the olive green sweat pants and Viking shirt ensemble would make another horrid appearance), I get up at 7, shower while the kids are eating with Karl. After breakfast, I dress Ahmi and deal with the hair while Karl leaves for work. I pack a snack for Ajura and makes sure he has warm clothes in his backpack so I do not appear like an inept mother (funny that that is a beacon for poor parenting), and then drop Ajura off at school. He LOVES school. We actually drove by the school this weekend and he blew it a kiss. Wow have things changed. Then Ahmi and I hang out all day. We try to stay busy running errands and visiting friends because entertaining a 3 year old with an attention span of a squirrel for 8 hours is exhausting. Then at 1 ish, Ahmi has his nap and I have my free time. Usually spent doing laundry. My favorite part of the day (besides picking Ajura up from school) is when Ahmi wakes from his nap and just wants to snuggle. LOVE IT!!! Then we pick Ajura up. Ajura is so excited about his day at school that he talks nonstop about it on the way home and we talk about it during their afternoon snacktime. Then the boys play until Karl gets home and I make dinner. We eat, relax as a family for a bit, and then showers and bedtime. Of course, on occasion, we get babysitters so Karl and I will go out in the evening and the boys are doing really well even with that transition. We truly are doing well. I received an unprompted, spontaneous hug AND kiss from Ajura last Friday!!! Huge step for both of us.

We have been practicing for how things will change when I go back to work and talking the boys through it. In addition, I will be going to Haiti again this year in November (Karl is going to stay home this time and his parents are going to stay with Karl and the boys and get to snuggle with them while I am gone). We are already starting to teach the boys about this and preparing them. Preparation is key in this household.

Funny things this week: Ahmi was explaining to me that he should get to ride a "tinish"(small) bus since Ajura gets to ride a big bus at school. I suggested to him that I wouldn't brag about riding on the small bus. As the Vikings are actually not completely sucking this year Karl is wanting the kids to learn all his cheers. My suggestions was "How about teaching them their last names before, "Go Vikings!" Ahmi still goes by Amen. Ahmi is really fun to scare...not entirely on purpose...I don't do it all the time anyway. Ajura was able to go duck hunting with Karl. We carved pumpkins on Sunday with our friends the Leier's. Little did I realize but all these projects we do "for the kids" really just end up with the parents doing the whole thing. Ok, Karl does the whole thing. I was getting carpal tunnel carving my pumpkin.

On an interesting, kinda sad note, Ajura went to a classmates birthday party last week and did really well until he got cold. He refuses to wear gloves currently. I know, bad parent. After the party, we were at my parents' house and Ajura was trying to warm his hands up so he went to the bathroom and put warm water on his hands. The prickling and uncomfortable sensation scared the crap out of him, he literally started to scream and cry, flinging his hands in the air and scratching them. We calmed him down and I grabbed a warm (not hot) heating pack and slowly warmed his hands back up. Poor kid, and it is hard to explain to him what happened and why. Hopefully he makes friends with his gloves.

Well I think I did pretty well for being uninspired this week. Cheers to another uninspiring week as they seem to be the easiest. ;) Oh and one last thing, 3 year olds don't do well at movies...

1 comment:

  1. Love this update! So happy things are going well for you!!

    We took Eli to REI last weekend to get a full array of winter gear, all of which he refused (but we bought anyway). And now he's wearing every day the down mittens that he said he didn't want. (And it's no longer cold here, crazy Colorado weather.)

    ReplyDelete