I am sorry it has taken me so long to catch up on the blog, it has been a REALLY busy week going back to work right away and trying to start getting things ready for the boys. So here is the catch up!
May 30th
Woke up this morning after sleeping really well through the whole night. However, after eating breakfast I still felt shot so I went to lie down until 0900. Before we left we made sure to have enough money with us to go shopping today. Benjamin gave us a ride to the care center. Karl filmed much of the drive so that was cool. When we arrived the boys were at school so they sent someone over to get them. Seeing them walk through the gates and give us hugs was great. We each sat and held one boy for at least 10 minutes. Ajura loves the camera so he took most of the photos today. Ahmi had a great time with the stickers we brought. I even forgot the Big Bird sticker on my arm so when I took it off at the hotel later I had a nice tan line from it. We were able to ask Yared questions about the boys. They both have scheduled naps in the afternoon, however, he said Ajura is usually too busy and doesn't nap. Ajura prefers bananas, sandwiches over injera, basketball and tea. Yared also said that they are both quite shy and probably know more English than most because of Gambella proximity to Sudan. Really had a good time with the boys again today. Can't wait for court to be over tomorrow so we can give them their gifts. After our time at the care center we went shopping a the open air market. Benjamin went with us and got straight down to business. In half hour both families had traditional outfits and more scarves than I will know what to do with for $75.00. Benjamin did all our bartering for us which was very very nice. We will finish up our shopping tomorrow morning. Now back to the hotel for lunch (coffee and cake) and a siesta.
After a nice 2 hour nap for both of us we ordered more cake for room service. Our favorite waiter arrived. Yummy coffee as usual. Got ready for dinner. Went to Yod Abyssina for dinner. It is a traditional Ethiopian meal served family style. We ordered doro wot, beef tibs, and lamb something. 1/2 kilo of beef tibs would have been more than sufficient. Oh quick note insert, had to walk through metal detectors to enter restaurant. Food is served on a large platter of injera. So good! The music and dancing was also incredible!!! I was watching the dancers and all I could think of was: "Am I really here experiencing this?" Ethiopian people are beautiful, kind, soft spoken, generous, and quick to smile. I am so thankful that through our children we will have a tie to this country forever. I am eternally grateful for that! I will be so happy to be done with court tomorrow. I pray all goes well.
*of note: while leaving for dinner Karl, in his haste, missed a stair and twisted his ankle. This poor Ethiopian woman tried to catch him on the way down, he would have squashed her. He is okay but icing his foot.
No comments:
Post a Comment